Dunham-Singletary Family Connections

Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:57 pm 

Website discussion here...

I'll add a summary of the state of things as I see them.

Any suggestions for additions or changes are very welcome.

thanks,
jeff
aka webmaster.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:34 am 

What is the status of getting more Hits on the website. I think the
DS-FC pages still need to be reformatted -- too much stuff that
is of no use to visitors. We should be promoting the Genealogy and
research that is taking place. 2 of the 2011 Newsletters have not been
added to the site.

James

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:35 pm 

The website shifted over to a new location in the summer of 2012. Some features in the new setup hasn't been fully utilized by the membership. Namely the discussion form and the family tree software.

The DNA results haven't been updated. The reason behind this is that Family Tree DNA has reclassified/refined the haplogroups and some marker results have been updated as well. So the data from FTDNA needs to be translated and imported into the site. In order to display it on this website an extension needs to be loaded that supports MHTML format. This, in turn, requires that the PHP module on the webserver be configured a certain way. I am working through these issues now.

The webtrees genealogy software on the website has been very "under-utilized". The biggest bang for the buck here, I believe, would be to import David Dunham's massive "Dunham-Singletary Ancestry" family tree from ancestry.com to the DSFC webtrees database. This would make this tree available to all (and not require an ancestry.com account to view). We could add any data to this family tree - birth/death certificates, photos, etc.

jeff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:57 pm 

james8313 wrote:
What is the status of getting more Hits on the website. I think the
DS-FC pages still need to be reformatted -- too much stuff that
is of no use to visitors. We should be promoting the Genealogy and
research that is taking place. 2 of the 2011 Newsletters have not been
added to the site.

James

1. The website shows up very high on search engine rankings. So I don't think we have a problem there. We could pay for google advertising - cost is approximately $20-$30 per month - but given the high hit rate - I am not sure it is cost effective. External links to the website will increase the search engine ranking so I am going through wikipedia to add links to the website - e.g. wiki page for deacon john dunham now has link to dunham-singletary.org etc.

2. Reformatting of pages... I copied information from Paul's website. Can you please be more specific in what you mean by "need to be reformatted". And what information currently on the website do you feel provides no value. That being said - incorporating Gratia's information from the dunham families in america website will improve value on the main website - which we discussed with Gratia. And I agree that key research topics should be published on the website in addition to having them distributed in the newsletters in order to add value and draw in members. Related to adding additional data to the website - you seem to come back to adding many pages with information on family trees, graves, etc. The webtrees software on the form is a more effective medium to store this information. This would be a good place to spend your energy - we need someone to become an expert on use of the webtrees software.

3. Gratia sent me the newsletters to bring the website up to date as she is referencing these in her upcoming newsletter. The two newsletters that you mention above have been added to the website.

Thanks,
jeff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:20 am 

We should also talk about our Facebook page.

Question: on the main page it says that we were incorporated as a non-profit in 2004. I was thinking that Paul worked on this, but that the IRS turned down our app to be a nonprofit. Or perhaps we are a nonprofit in Montana but not nationally? Would be nice to solicit donations for the DNA component if people could make a tax-deductible contribution to us.