LINE OF DEACON JOHN DUNHAM OF PLYMOUTH
FOURTH GENERATION IN AMERICA
199. SAMUEL 4 DUNHAM (Daniel 3 Jonathan 2 John 1) born say 1718-19;  died in Lebanon, New London Co. CT 9 December 1779 in 62nd year.  Samuel married in Lebanon CT. 13 November 1740 ESTHER LYMAN.  Esther Lyman was born on 17 September 1718 in Lebanon, New London, CT. She was baptised on 28 June 1719 in Lebanon, CT. Samuel Dunham appears on a Rate Bill for the North Parish of Lebanon CT. 19 November 1741. Part of Lebanon, known as the “Crank Society”, became its own town in 1804 and was called Columbia. Columbia is now in Tolland Co. CT.
Esther was probably the daughter of Josiah Lyman as there is a stone in the Old Cemetery in Columbia CT,
- “Lyman, Josiah d. 6 February 1760 age 70”.
She must have remarried as there is a will dated 10 November 1799
- “I Esther Buckingham of Lebanon, County of Windham, CT, being advanced in years. . .she gives and bequeaths to my son Daniel Dunham the one half of all my real and personal estate to him and his heirs forever. . .the other half of my real and personal estate I give and bequeath to the heirs of my daughter Anna Woodward deceased to be equally divided between them. . .and I do hereby appoint James Pinneo Esq. to be my soul and only executor. . .She signed her name. . .
- Witnesses were: Elisha Bissal -- Benoni Loomis -- John Williams”
This will proved 27 Nov. 1799. . .and there is an inventory of £185, 5s 7p.
From The Connecticut Nutmegger, Vol. 32 p. 398 (Dec. 1999) ‘Headstone Inscriptions Old Cemetery Columbia, CT’ by Ida M. Ragazzi; [This Cemetery is located on West side of Lebanon Road ¼ mile south of Center];
- Dea. Samuel Dunham, died Dec. 9 1779, age 61
- Also Josiah, s. of Samuel & Mather Dunham, b. Mar 8, 1748; d Oct 19, 1768 (Mather should read Esther)
Children of Samuel 4 and Esther (Lyman) Dunham: born in Lebanon CT. 
- 365. i. Daniel 5 Dunham, b. 2 Feb. 1743/44
- ii. Anna 5 Dunham, b. 23 May 1745 m. (--) Woodward and had heirs (see will of her mother Esther (Lyman) (Dunham) Buckingham
- iii. Josiah 5 Dunham, b. 8 March 1748; d. 19 Oct. 1768, He is buried in the Old Cemetery in Columbia CT.
- 1. Banks, History of Martha’s Vineyard Vol. 3:154-5.
- 2. NEHGR 60:371, Inscriptions in Connecticut, from Columbia CT.
- 3. Roser, Descendants of Henry Cobb p. 136.
- 4. Lebanon CT. VR (Barbour Coll.)
Comments to the [Historian]
Return to: Generation 1 or Prior Page