LINE OF DEACON JOHN DUNHAM OF PLYMOUTH
FOURTH GENERATION IN AMERICA
275. STEPHEN 4 DUNHAM (Joseph 3,2 John 1) born in Freetown 5 May 1709,  died after 1 March 1782 when he acknowledged a deed of sale of land in Middleboro.  Stephen married in Middleboro 10 May 1733 LYDIA TAYLOR,  of Taunton.
At the Middleboro Town Meeting 26 February 1739/40 “Ebenezer Wood, Robert Richmond, and Stephen Donham (were) chosen Tythingmen...”
In a deed dated 15 December 1752,  but not recorded until 19 May 1796,
- ...I Bethiah Donham of Middleborough...widow, for and in consideration that two of my sons (viz) Stephen Dunham of Middleborough ...yeoman and Josiah Dunham of Providence ...have undertaken to maintain me Bethiah Dunham my life time from this time forward...do by these presents sell and confirm unto them...a certain lot of land being a forty acre lot be it more or less, and the fourteenth lot in number in the first division of land called the Sixteen Shilling Purchase lying in Middleboro in the county of Plymouth in New England which land I hold by deed of gift, and also by my father Benjamin Chase’s will, and from my brother Benjamin Chase and my brother Walter Chase...and the said forty acre lot is to be equally for advantage divided between the said Stephen Donham and Josiah Donham...
- Witnesses: Benjamin Samson -- Jonathan Reed
- April 13, 1753 the above named Bethiah Donham personally appeared and acknowledged the foregoing instrument to be her voluntary act and deed.
Ply Co. LR 111:243, dated 11 July 1781, rec. 23 Feb. 1810 “I, Stephen Dunham, of Middleboro, laborer, for 12 lbs. 10 sh. 9 pence, paid by Job Peirce of Midd. sell part of my homestead farm where I now live in Midd. in 16 Sh. Purchase, containing 12 acres to be taken out of the one half of the said Stephen’s division of the said farm . . . with the dwelling house, wood, orchard and priviledges. . .adjoining the Northwest side of Rhode Island Road.
- (signed) Stephen Dunham
- Wit. Joshua Haskins -- Zebedee Sprout
(See deed where Stephen sells land to Joseph (his son), under Joseph 5 Dunham)
Children of Stephen 4 and Lydia (Taylor) Dunham: 
- i. Mary 5 Dunham b. say 1734
- It is probably this Mary 5 Dunham who married Nathaniel 5 Billington, and died without issue. Mary Dunham m. in Middleboro 14 Jan. 1754 Nathaniel 5 Billington son of Isaac 4 and Mary 4 Dunham who was daughter of Nathaniel 3 and Mary (Tilson) Dunham. If Mary 5 Dunham was age about 20 years at marriage in 1754, she would have been born say 1734. She died before 1756 when Nathaniel 5 Billington married second his cousin
Comments to the [Historian]
Return to: Generation 1 or to the Prior Page