LINE OF DEACON JOHN DUNHAM OF PLYMOUTH
FOURTH GENERATION IN AMERICA
276. CALEB 4 DUNHAM (Joseph 3,2 John 1) born say 1711. Caleb Dunham married in Braintree MA 30 March 1732 MARY COPELAND.  She was daughter of Samuel and Mary (--) Copeland.  In the settlement of the estate of Samuel Copeland of Braintree, lands were assigned to his “son Samuel Copeland, he paying unto his brothers and sisters”, one of whom was Mary Dunham. 
He is placed here on the basis of his witnessing a deed dated 28 March 1752 [Plymouth Co. LR 42:30] in which:
- ...land of Elkanah Leonard..sold to Jonathan Dunham...the 15th lot of land in the first allotment called Sixteen Shilling Purchase in Middleboro...the same lot that was Joseph Dunham’s deceased...
- Witness: Caleb Dunham
Children of Caleb and Mary (Copeland) Dunham: born in Braintree
- i. Mary 5 Dunham, b. 9 April 1733 (Ref. Braintree VR:768)
- ii. Elizabeth 5 Dunham, b. 4 Apr. 1735 (Ref. Braintree VR:772)
- 411. iii. Caleb 5 Dunham, b. Nov. 1738 (Ref. Braintree VR:779)
- iv. Lydia 5 Dunham, b. 22 Oct. 1741 (Ref. Braintree VR:783) m. (int.) 12 June 1761 John Hunt 
- 412. v. Isaac 5 Dunham, b. 28 July 1746 (Ref. Braintree VR:793
- iv. Susanna 5 Dunham, b. 14 Apr. 1748 (Ref. Braintree VR:795) m. (prob. intent date) 21 Dec. 1765 William Thayer married 25 January 1766 (Braintree VR:873) William Thayer was a descendant of Mayflower Pilgrim John Alden. 
- vii. Possibly Thankful 5 Dunham b. say 1743 (not on VR of Braintree) Braintree VR p880 give marriage of Thankful Dunham of Braintree to Abel Thayer of Weymouth, intent date 6 September 1766.
- 413. viii. Possibly John 5 Dunham b. about 1751. John is not on Vital Records, but is placed here as a possibility.
- 1. Braintree MA VR p. 749; Mayflower Families John Alden Vol. 4, p. 320.
- 2. NEHGR 97:184; 98:186.
- 3. Mayflower Deeds & Probate Records, p. 152. ; Suffolk Co. PR Vol. 41:449.
- 4. Weymouth VR p. 64, “Lydia of Braintree and John Hunt”.
- 5. Mayflower Families John Alden Vol. 4, p. 320.
Comments to the [Historian]
Return to: Generation 1 or to the Prior Page