LINE OF DEACON JOHN DUNHAM OF PLYMOUTH
FOURTH GENERATION IN AMERICA
258. EPHRAIM 4 DUNHAM (Nathaniel 3 Joseph 2 John 1) born in Plymouth say 1694-95,  died between 10 December 1753 when he wrote his will and 27 July 1778 when his estate was probated.  Ephraim married first in Middleboro December 1725 ANNIS SMITH,  daughter of John and Mary (Ellenwood) Smith.  Annis was baptized in Beverly, Essex Co. MA 18 November 1695,  and she died before 1729 when Ephraim married his second wife. 
- John Smith was of Beverly when he married before 1686 Mary Ellenwood.  Their first four children, Jonathan, James, Mary and Abigail were baptized in Beverly 14 October 1694.  The fourth child, Abigail, became the wife of Ebenezer 4 Dunham, (Samuel 3,2 John 1 Dunham). In a deed dated 11 February 1702/3 John Smith purchased two 100 acre lots in Middleboro. 
Ephraim 4 Dunham married second in East Bridgewater, Plymouth Co. MA 22 October 1729 ELIZABETH BUMP/BUMPAS. 
Ephraim Dunham was still “of Plimpton” on 15 March 1732 when he purchased his father’s homestead [Bristol Co. LR 21:248]
- ...Nathaniel Dunham of Norton for £200 paid by my son Ephraim Dunham of Plimpton, land in Norton being my homestead farm where I now dwell...28 acres bounded southerly and easterly by land of Richard Godfrey of Taunton, northerly by 5 acres I sold to Thomas Cobb, westerly by highway...
- Witness: John Witherall -- Abigail Eddy
Ephraim exchanged this land with Charles Waste/West of Middleboro on 4 April 1742 [Bristol Co. LR 32:1]
- ...Ephraim Dunham of Norton, in consideration of two complete lots of land lying in Middleboro...the 57th lot containing 43 acres, and 58th lot containing 48 acres... to Charles Waste (West). . . all my farm and home stead in Norton where I dwell. . . 28 acres bounded southerly and easterly by Richard Godfree of Norton, northerly by 5 acres of land which my honored father sold to Thomas Cobb, and westerly by a highway. . .with dwelling house...
- dated 4 April 1742
- Witness: Nathan Basett -- Nathan Basett, Jr.
- Know that I Elizabeth Dunham of Middleboro, wife of Ephraim. . .confirm all my right of dower
- dated 13 August 1742
- Witness: Wm. Dean -- Thomas Burt
On 27 July 1778 the administrators of the estate of Ephraim Dunham made division of his land to and among the children and heirs of “Jonathan Donham, only son of the said Ephraim Donham. 
Child of Ephraim and first wife Annis (Smith) Dunham: 
- 389. i. Jonathan 5 Dunham b. 4 November 1726
- 1. TAG 62:8.
- 2. Plymouth Co. probate doc. #6841.
- 3. Middleboro VR 1:46 (Ephraim of Plympton, Annis of Middleboro.
- 4. TEG (The Essex Genealogist) Vol. 7:35-6.
- 5. Beverly VR, Vol. 1:294.
- 6. East Bridgewater VR, Vol. 1:197.
- 7. Torrey p. 684.
- 8. Beverly, MA VR p. 112.
- 9. Plymouth Co. LR 6:127; TAG 60:7-10.
- 10. West Bridgewater VR, Vol. 1:133.
- 11. Plymouth Co. probate doc. #6841.
- 12. Middleboro VR 1:40. (spelled Donham)
Comments to the [Historian]
Return to: Generation 1 or to the Prior Page